Tuesday, October 26, 2004

My first convert?

Yesterday, I met the Managing Director of a company whose website I manage. He could turn out to be a convert to blogging - and become one of the first corporte bloggers in India.

A few minutes into the conversation, I suggested blogging to him. Now, this man loves to write - a rare thing for the top management. He occasionally writes about his industry segment and government policies in one of India's top business newspapers and is generally obvsessive abut every line of text on his company website. I told him that after observing him for mroe than a year, I am sure that blogging is right up his alley.

In minutes, I mentioned what blogging essentially is, its capability to position someone as an industry expert, how it can create a dialogue with the customers - and he got it! Yeah! Woohoo!

In a little while, he was thinking up all the potential benefits, how he could keep in touch with the shareholders, the comments / observations he can make about his industry in his blog - he was thinking up most of the stuff I had already read on the websites in blogroll, and was clearly getting excited.

This time I had already taken into account the potential hassles such as spare time, unfamiliarity with the Web.. and offered to run his blog for him till he has gained sufficient confidence. Our understanding is that he would email me his blog post text everyday, and I would post it, link appropriately and suggest similar industry blogs to him using Steve Rubel's (patented?) methodology! Once he becomes confortable with the medium, he will handle it himself.

We are supposed to start in two days, and only time will tell if this project will take off or not. This may sound like nothing to most of you - but then remember that I am in India, I am working in a country whose internet penetration is very low even considering the software development and outsourcing scenario here, and the idea is extremely radical for an Indian corporate audience. Will keep you posted - if anyone has the spare time, I beseech you to welcome him into the blogosphere. I am sure that would provided a great boost to his morale.

10 Comments:

Blogger Priya Florence Shah said...

I recently attended a presentation by the Marketing Head of a prominent IT company. He talked about their marketing mix, which included online marketing. But when I asked him about weblogs, he first confused it with traffic logs, and then pleaded complete ignorance about blogging. I was as embarrassed as he was about showing up his lack of knowledge.

It's going to be hard to sell blogging to corporates here, especially because so many don't even know what blogs are!! If you're successful with this person, I'll be waiting to hear the results :)

Priya Shah
http://www.blogbrandz.com

December 17, 2004 at 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

October 28, 2005 at 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and other sites for well over 5 years.

November 2, 2005 at 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your blog. Thanks for the great information. I will visit on a regular basis.

I have a internet marketing campaign site. It pretty much covers internet marketing campaign related items and services. You may find some of my content of interest.

Drop by my site some time and see what you think.

November 2, 2005 at 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine the power of tens of thousands of other web sites being able to easily

November 7, 2005 at 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post your Ad to everyday after that, you'll also be able to generate a Viral Traffic Streams absolutely FREE!

November 10, 2005 at 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! What at great blog you have going. I'm new to blogging and I am trying to build up my visitors. I blog about marketing software. I am also offering the eBook "Adsense Empire" to my visitors.... Stop by & get your copy today

November 17, 2005 at 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.getipodsforfree.com has this cool thing where if you just sign up and do an offer, you can get a free ipod

November 17, 2005 at 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Blog network has 708 Pages and Growing at a Rapid Pace!

November 20, 2005 at 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While surffing I came across your blog. I have software sales site that has a lot of products related to
design development promotion site site web web web websiteownerworld.com A lot of people whos purchase scripts or software having to deal with design development promotion site site web web web websiteownerworld.com ask for more information and I will definatly tell them to check out your site. Do keep up the great work!

November 20, 2005 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home