Tuesday, October 12, 2004

El brillianto, Edelman!

So Edelman does not want unmoderated comments on his blog. Aha! Now why is that not a surprise to me?

For those of you who don't know about it, Edelman started a blog couple of weeks back, and its now 2 posts old. In the blogosphere, the news spread quickly, and people rushed to see it. Now it seems while Mr. Edelman wants 'feedback, blunt and quick', he is not that keen on allowing them to appear on his blog.

Early morning in India, and I can already see Media Guerilla, Technoflak and Holtz a little irritated. And Micropersuasion. Being a wimpy PR guy from India, I chose not to comment on Edelman's blog - hey the guy's a big shot, let other bigshots comment, would I have anything of value to add anyway - and seems it would not have made any difference.

I feel, despite whatever optimistic stuff we see from the PR bloggers about the industry adapting to participatory journalism and conversations, I feel sceptical. This Edelman saga just reinforces this feeling I have that PR industry is, by nature, technology-hating and fanatically for controlled messages. Nothing but the spin, dears. Okay, I am sure the PR industry types who have got blogs will definitely make sense of them and will use them effectively, just like they were probably the first ones to start using emails instead of faxes, just like they went around convincing their clients to have a website, pleeaaseeee... some eight years back. But the industry as a whole liking anything where they don't have a tight control over the message - I don't know, folks.

I am of course in India, and can speak comparatively knowledgeably only about the scene here. But Edelman just reinforces my doubts. Conversations are for wimps, we macho men know what messages the public should see!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Feel free to flame Technoflak any old time. ;-)

October 13, 2004 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger octaviorojas said...

There are no big shots bloggers... that's what the blogosphere is all about. It doesn't matter if you are in India, I am in Madrid or Ruebel is in the US. We feel that by controling the comments, Edelman didn't understand what this is all about.

Cheers!

October 16, 2004 at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home