Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The psychology of PR

Have discovered another good PR blog today, this deals more with tech PR.

Who in India does real tech PR? Maybe 20:20 media, no one else does real Tech PR as far as I know. But then I define Tech PR more narrowly than most people - PR for a BPO is not tech PR; for some decent tech product/ software / idea is. Here is what I found in Active Voice

" I'm still working my way through Stuart Ewen's PR! A Social History of Spin and just finished an interesting section on the mechanisms behind public opinion. What is interesting to me is that many of the early PR professionals studied the principles of psychology and took the initiative to publish their own theories on public opinion and influence. One of our industry's early pioneers was a man named Walter Lippman. By his mid 20s, Lipmman had already earned the praise of Theodore Roosevelt and later became a senior member of President Wilson's Committee on Public Information (CPI).

In this section, we read about Lippmanā€™s examination of psychology and PR:
"The would-be director of public opinion must also be conversant with customary patterns of influence, the psychodynamics of leadership within the population he wishes to influence, and the ways that leaders have historically been able to sow ideas in other people's minds...Public opinions must be organized for the press if they are to be sound, not by the press.""

That's some job description! Oh when I am 70, maybe, I will be able to see an ad like that for a PR post in India!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home